[Colloquium] Fwd: [ci-announce] Seminar this Thursday: "ClimateFeedback.org": how climate scientists can rise to the challenge of online misinformation

Ninfa Mayorga via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 25 11:49:38 CST 2017

Note:  this talk will be broadcast via Blue Jeans

> Computation Institute seminar
>
> "ClimateFeedback.org <http://climatefeedback.org/>": how climate scientists can rise to the challenge of online misinformation
>
> Emmanuel Vincent
> Sierra Nevada Research Institute
> Thursday Jan 26
> 12:30-1:30 PM
> Searle 240a
>
> Misinformation on scientific topics abounds online, both “fake news” and plain misunderstanding. Facebook and Google are now taking steps to counter the spread of false information on their platforms, but they need partnerships with scientists to identify misinformation and promote trustworthy journalism. The Climate Feedback initiative (www.climatefeedback.org <x-msg://190/www.climatefeedback.org>) aims to rise to this challenge. Climate Feedback organizes scientists to collectively review news stories about climate change and rate their scientific credibility to provide feedback to readers, journalists, editors. We are now moving to the new challenge of expanding our scope significantly and providing information in near real-time to social media platforms. Applying our approach at scale poses new computation challenges, including: text mining to identify and characterize climate change articles; automated matching of articles with reviewers; automatic claim detection and extraction; tracking the origin and spread of “fake news". In this seminar, we will discuss the progress made so far, the opportunities ahead, and the ways you can get involved in these efforts.

Information: Lunch will be provided.

Webcast:  You may join the broadcast via Blue Jeans at http://tinyurl.com/TCS-CI <http://tinyurl.com/TCS-CI>.  You will have to install and approve a browser plug-in. Upon entering the meeting, please select "Don't Send, Only Receive".