[Colloquium] 2/23 Talks at TTIC: Mohit Iyyer, University of Maryland

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 17 14:08:22 CST 2017

When:     Thursday, February 23rd at 11:00 am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:        Mohit Iyyer, University of Maryland

Title: Using Deep Learning to Understand and Answer Questions about
Creative Language

Abstract:

Creative language—the sort found in novels, film, and comics—contains a
wide range of linguistic phenomena, from phrasal and sentential syntactic
complexity to high-level discourse structures such as narrative and
character arcs. In this talk, I explore how we can use deep learning to
understand, generate, and answer questions about creative language. I begin
by presenting deep neural network models for two tasks involving creative
language understanding: 1) modeling dynamic relationships between fictional
characters in novels, for which our models achieve higher interpretability
and accuracy than existing work; and 2) predicting dialogue and artwork
from comic book panels, in which we demonstrate that even state-of-the-art
deep models struggle on problems that require commonsense reasoning. Next,
I introduce deep models that outperform all but the best human players on
quiz bowl, a trivia game that contains many questions about creative
language. Shifting to ongoing work, I describe a neural language generation
method that disentangles the content of a novel (i.e., the information or
story it conveys) from the style in which it is written. Finally, I
conclude by integrating my work on deep learning, creative language, and
question answering into a future research plan to build conversational
agents that are both engaging and useful.

Host: Kevin Gimpel <kgimpel at ttic.edu>