[Colloquium] 2/13 Talks at TTIC: Dinesh Jayaraman, UT Austin

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 7 07:55:23 CST 2017

When:     Monday, February 13th at 11:00 am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Dinesh Jayaraman, UT Austin

Talk title: Embodied learning for visual recognition

Abstract: Visual recognition methods have made great strides in recent
years by exploiting large manually curated and labeled datasets specialized
to various tasks. My research focuses on asking: could we do better than
this painstakingly manually supervised approach? In particular, could
embodied visual agents teach themselves through interaction with and
experimentation in their environments?

In this talk, I will present approaches that we have developed to model the
learning and performance of visual tasks by agents that have the ability to
act and move in their worlds. I will showcase results that indicate that
computer vision systems could benefit greatly from action and motion in the
world, with continuous self-acquired feedback. In particular, it is
possible for embodied visual agents to learn generic image representations
from unlabeled video, improve scene and object categorization performance
through intelligent exploration, and even learn to direct their cameras to
be effective videographers.

Host: Greg Shakhnarovich <greg at ttic.edu>