[Colloquium] REMINDER: 2/6 Talks at TTIC: Sepideh Mahabadi, MIT

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Sun Feb 5 20:39:36 CST 2017

When:     Monday, February 6th at 11:00 am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:     Sepideh Mahabadi, MIT

Title: Approximate Nearest Neighbor and Its Many Faces

Abstract:
Given a collection P of n points in a d-dimensional space, the goal of the
(Approximate) Nearest Neighbor problem is to build a data structure, that,
given a query point q, quickly reports a point from P which is
(approximately) closest to q. This classic problem has numerous
applications in information retrieval, image and video databases,
clustering, and in many other fields. Despite the extensive research on
this topic, the basic formulation of Nearest Neighbor encounters several
challenges for many applications. This includes retrieving a* diverse *set
of results for a given query (as opposed to only one result), dealing with
the case where the data is *corrupted* or *incomplete*, handling
*multiple* related
queries, and handling a data set of *lines* (representing a point that
depends linearly on an unknown parameter) as opposed to a data set of
points.

In this talk, I will describe these challenges and summarize the techniques
to address them. I will also briefly mention my other results regarding
algorithms for massive data.

Host: Julia Chuzhoy <cjulia at ttic.edu>