[Colloquium] Re: REMINDER: 2/2 Talks at TTIC: Euiwoong Lee, CMU

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 2 10:40:42 CST 2017

When:     Thursday, February 2nd at 11:00 am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Euiwoong Lee, CMU

Title: Optimal Approximabilities beyond CSPs and Set Cover

Abstract: The last three decades have seen tremendous progress in both
designing better approximation algorithms and proving their optimality.
This success revealed optimal approximation ratios of many traditional
combinatorial optimization problems such as Constraint Satisfaction
Problems (CSPs) and Set Cover.

My research has tried to expand the frontiers of approximation algorithms,
with respect to the range of optimization problems as well as mathematical
tools for algorithms and hardness. With the growth of computer science and
its interaction with other scientific disciplines, new important
optimization problems have emerged. They often have continuous domains or
specialized structural properties, and are not easily captured by the
traditional problems.

In this talk, I will describe three examples of my work called Graph
Pricing, Polynomial Optimization, and Graph Transversal. They are motivated
by various fields including internet economics, machine learning, quantum
computing, and operations research. I will focus on connections between
these new problems and fundamental combinatorial optimization problems, and
how these connections enrich understanding of both classes.

Host: Julia Chuzhoy <cjulia at ttic.edu>