[Colloquium] Re: REMINDER: 8/31 TTIC Colloquium: Kate Saenko, Boston University

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 31 10:51:32 CDT 2017

*PLEASE NOTE: SPECIAL DAY*

When:    * Thursday**,*  August 31st at 11:00 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Kate Saenko, Boston University

Title:      Distribution Alignment for Visual Domain Adaptation

Abstract:
Traditional supervised learning suffers from poor generalization when the
test data distribution differs from the training one. For example, if an
autonomous driving model is trained on a dataset collected in specific
weather conditions and/or geographical locations, its performance is likely
to drop significantly in novel test conditions and locations. Domain
adaptation solves this problem by transferring knowledge between domains. In
this talk, I will discuss recent work focusing on domain adaptation in
unsupervised scenarios, where the target domain is assumed to have no
annotated labels. Specifically, I will describe a generalized framework
based on end-to-end unsupervised domain alignment using domain-adaptive
losses, such as the adversarial, maximum mean discrepancy, and correlation
alignment losses.

Bio:
Prof. Kate Saenko is an Assistant Professor at the Computer Science
Department at Boston University, the director of the Computer Vision and
Learning Group and a member of the Image and Video Computing group. Her
past positions include Assistant Professor at the UMass Lowell CS
department, Postdoctoral Researcher at the International Computer Science
Institute, a Visiting Scholar at UC Berkeley EECS and a Visiting
Postdoctoral Fellow in the School of Engineering and Applied Science at
Harvard University. Her research interests are in developing machine
learning for image and language understanding, multimodal perception for
autonomous systems, and adaptive machine learning.

Host: Karen Livescu <klivescu at ttic.edu>

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php