[Colloquium] Talk Thursday

Ridgway Scott via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Sun Apr 16 00:52:54 CDT 2017

There will be a talk on Thursday that may be of interest:

4:30-5:30pm Thursday 20 April in Jones 226
Prof. Michael Mascagni
Florida State University
Title: Computational Geometry Aspects of Monte Carlo Approaches

         to PDE Problems in Biology, Chemistry, and Materials

Abstract:
We will introduce at some Monte Carlo methods for solving problems in electrostatics.  These rely on evaluating functionals of the first-passage time of Brownian motion on geometries defined by the system of interest.  We will use the Walk on Spheres (WOS) algorithm to quickly evaluate these functionals, and we will show how a computational geometric computation dominates this computation in complexity.  We then consider computing the capacitance of a complicated shape, and use this as our model problem to find an efficient serial and parallel implementation.  The capacitance computation is prototypical of many Monte Carlo approaches to problems in biology, biochemistry, and materials science.

For more information, contact Ridgway Scott (ridg at uchicago.edu)