[Colloquium] 10/5 Young Researcher Seminar Series: Sainbayar Sukhbaatar, NYU

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 29 22:12:18 CDT 2016

When:     Wednesday, October 5th at *10:00am *

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:    Sainbayar Sukhbaatar, NYU

Title: Memory and Communication in Neural Networks

Abstract: In this talk, I will talk about my two recent works on equipping
neural networks with an external memory and communication. In the first
part, I will explain about how an external memory can be attached to neural
networks. The memory can store variable number of items, which then can be
can accessed by a soft-attention mechanism. This whole model can be trained
end-to-end with simple back-propagation. Since the model can choose which
part of the input to read, it makes it suitable for tasks with out-of-order
structure, such as question answering after reading a short story. In the
second part, I will talk about how multiple neural networks can learn to
communicate with each other to solve a common task. Instead of using
discrete symbols for communication, we allow networks to exchange
continuous vectors so it can be trained with back-propagation. I will
demonstrate the model on multi-agent reinforcement learning tasks.

Host: David McAllester, mcallester at ttic.edu

The TTIC Young Researcher Seminar Series (http://www.ttic.edu/young-
researcher.php) features talks by Ph.D. students and postdocs whose research is
of broad interest to the computer science community. The series provides an
opportunity for early-career researchers to present recent work to and meet
with students and faculty at TTIC and nearby universities.

The seminars are typically held on Wednesdays at 11:00am in TTIC Room 526.

For additional information, please contact Matthew Walter (mwalter at ttic.edu
).