[Colloquium] 9/21 Young Researcher Seminar Series: Carl Vondrick, MIT

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Sep 16 10:25:16 CDT 2016

When:     Wednesday, September 21st at 11am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Carl Vondrick, MIT

Title: Understanding scenes over time with unlabeled video

Abstract: Learning models with a rich understanding of time is a key
problem in machine perception. However, the need for large, labeled video
datasets is a major obstacle because video is often expensive and ambiguous
to annotate. In this talk, we capitalize on years of unlabeled, in-the-wild
videos to train models for two temporal tasks, visual anticipation and
sound recognition. First, we present a deep convolutional network for
multi-modal regression, allowing us to model uncertainty and more
accurately anticipate human actions. To support pixel-level predictions, we
introduce a layered generative video model, facilitating dense
extrapolation of videos. Second, we utilize videos' natural synchronization
between vision and sound to learn deep sound representations, which our
experiments suggest learn some high-level semantics. We believe unlabeled
video is a valuable resource for perception, and can impact many
applications in robotics, recognition, and forecasting.

Host: Greg Shakhnarovich, greg at ttic.edu

The TTIC Young Researcher Seminar Series (http://www.ttic.edu/young-
researcher.php) features talks by Ph.D. students and postdocs whose research is
of broad interest to the computer science community. The series provides an
opportunity for early-career researchers to present recent work to and meet
with students and faculty at TTIC and nearby universities.

The seminars are typically held on Wednesdays at 11:00am in TTIC Room 526.

For additional information, please contact Matthew Walter (mwalter at ttic.edu
).