[Colloquium] Theory talk this afternoon

Alexander Razborov via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 13 13:03:55 CDT 2016

REMINDER:

Departments of Computer Science & Mathematics
Combinatorics & Theoretical Seminar

Today, Tuesday, September 13, 2016
3:00 pm
Ryerson 251

Annie Raymond
University of Washington
Title: “Symmetric Sums of Squares over $k$-Subset Hypercubes”

Abstract: We consider the problem of finding sum of squares (sos) expressions to establish the non-negativity of a symmetric polynomial over a discrete hypercube whose coordinates are indexed by $k$-element subsets of $[n]$. We develop a variant of the Gatermann-Parrilo symmetry-reduction method tailored to our setting that allows for several simplifications and a connection to Razborov's flag algebras. We show that every symmetric polynomial that has a sos expression of a fixed degree also has a succinct sos expression whose size depends only on the degree and not on the number of variables. This is joint work with James Saunderson, Mohit Singh and Rekha Thomas.

Host: Prof. Alexander Razborov

*Refreshments will be served prior to the talk in Ryerson 255 @ 2:30 pm*