[Colloquium] Re: Reminder: 9/12 TTIC Colloquium: May Wang; Georgia Tech, Emory

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 12 10:53:54 CDT 2016

When:     Monday, September 12th at 11:00 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       May Wang, Georgia Tech, Emory

Title:       Biomedical Big Data Analytics for Outcome-Driven Precision
Health

Abstract: Rapid advancements in biotechnologies such as –omic (genomics,
proteomics, metabolomics,lipidomics etc.), next generation sequencing,
bio-nanotechnologies, molecular imaging, and mobile sensors etc. accelerate
the data explosion in biomedicine and health wellness. Multiple nations
around the world have been seeking novel effective ways to make sense of
“big data” for evidence-based, outcome-driven, and affordable 5P
(Patient-centric, Predictive, Preventive, Personalized, and Precise) health
care. The goal is develop multi-modal and multi-scale (i.e. molecular,
cellular, whole body, individual, and population) biomedical data analytics
research for discovery, development, and delivery.
First, I will highlight major challenges in biomedical health informatics
pipeline consisting of data quality control, information feature
extraction, advanced knowledge modeling, decision making, and proper action
taking through feedback. Second, I will present utilities of health
analytics for translational medicine such as histopathological imaging
informatics for improving clinical decision support; RNA-seq data analytics
such as algorithms for users to achieve improved biological utility,
reproducibility, and effectiveness in decision making; and Electronic
Health Record data quality control and mining.Third, I will discuss
emerging research directions such as integrating genomics in EHR. Last,
there is big shortage of data scientists and engineers who are capable of
handling Big Data to meet the need of healthcare stakeholders (i.e.
patients, physicians, payers, and hospitals). I will discuss efforts such
as patient-centric educational intervention, community-based crowd
sourcing, and Biomedical Data Analytics MOOC development.

Bio: May D. Wang, Ph.D. is a full professor in the Joint Department of
Biomedical Engineering of Georgia Tech and Emory, School of Electrical and
Computer Engineering and IPaT and IBB of Georgia Tech, Hematology and
Oncology and Winship Cancer Institute of Emory Univ., a Kavli Fellow, a
Georgia Research Alliance Distinguished Cancer Scholar, and a Fellow of The
American Institute for Biological and Medical Engineering (AIMBE).
Professor Wang serves as Co-Director of Biomedical Informatics Program of
Georgia Tech in Atlanta Clinical and Translational Science Institute
(ACTSI), Co-Director of Georgia-Tech Center of Bio-Imaging Mass
Spectrometry, and Biocomputing and Bioinformatics Core Director in
Emory-Georgia- Tech Cancer Nanotechnology Center.

Host: Hammad Naveed, hammad.naveed at ttic.edu

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php