[Colloquium] Re: REMINDER: 11/30 Young Researcher Seminar Series: Emily Denton, NYU

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 30 10:33:19 CST 2016

When:     Wednesday, November 30th at 11:00 am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Emily Denton, NYU

Talk title:
Semi-Supervised Learning with Context-Conditional Generative Adversarial
Networks

Abstract:
The main focus of this talk will be on a new simple semi-supervised
learning approach for images based on in-painting using an adversarial
loss. Images with random patches removed are presented to a generator whose
task is to fill in the hole, based on the surrounding pixels. The
in-painted images are then presented to a discriminator network that judges
if they are real (unaltered training images) or not. This task acts as a
regularizer for standard supervised training of the discriminator. Using
our approach we are able to directly train large VGG-style networks in a
semi-supervised fashion. We evaluate on STL-10 and PASCAL datasets, where
our approach obtains performance comparable or superior to existing methods.

Bio:
I am currently a PhD student at the Courant Institute of Mathematical
Sciences at New York University. I am supported by a Google Fellowship and
have previously enjoyed support by the Natural Sciences and Engineering
Research Council of Canada (NSERC). My research focuses on generative
modeling of images and applications of image synthesis models to
representation learning. I am currently collaborating with researchers at
New York University and Facebook AI Research and have previously interned
at Facebook AI Research.

Host: Greg Shakhnarovich, *greg at ttic.edu <http://ttic.edu/>*

The TTIC Young Researcher Seminar Series (http://www.ttic.edu/young-
researcher.php) features talks by Ph.D. students and postdocs whose research is
of broad interest to the computer science community. The series provides an
opportunity for early-career researchers to present recent work to and meet
with students and faculty at TTIC and nearby universities.

The seminars are typically held on Wednesdays at 11:00am in TTIC Room 526.

For additional information, please contact Matthew Walter (mwalter at ttic.edu
).