[Colloquium] Announcement: Analysis of Genetic Data, Part 2

Benjamin Recchie via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 14 11:13:41 CST 2016

[RCC_logo]
Analysis of Genetic Data, Part 2
Peter Carbonetto, Computational Scientist, Statistics and Genetics, Research Computing Center
Thursday, November 17, 2016, 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. | Kathleen A. Zar Room, John Crerar Library

In this 2-hour workshop we will use popular software tools such as PLINK and R/qtl to generate interesting biological insights from large-scale genetic data. The emphasis is on developing an intuition for key concepts in genome-wide association studies through example. This is intended to be a more informal, hands-on workshop, and no background in genetics is required; anyone with intermediate computing skills (see "Prerequisites") who is curious about human genetics and the "genomics revolution" is encouraged to register. We will also use online databases such as the UCSC Genome Browser to interpret the output of the data analyses. Since we cannot work with human data due to data sharing restrictions, we will download and investigate genetic data from other organisms (e.g., mice).

[http://mindbytes.uchicago.edu/left.jpg]
Level: This is an INTERMEDIATE level workshop, for people with some experience in the topic.

[http://mindbytes.uchicago.edu/right.jpg]
Prerequisites: This workshop assumes some experience performing simple tasks in a UNIX-like shell environment, as well as basic familiarity with R. All participants must bring a laptop with a Mac, Linux, or Windows operating system that they have administrative privileges on. Note: Attending "Analysis of Genetic Data, Part 1" is NOT required for the second part.

Click here to register<https://training.uchicago.edu/course_detail.cfm?course_id=1715>

Complete list of RCC workshops<https://rcc.uchicago.edu/support-and-services/workshops-and-training>
RESEARCH COMPUTING CENTER<https://rcc.uchicago.edu/>
Email: training at rcc.uchicago.edu
Phone: (773) 795-2667
Walk-in Laboratory: Regenstein 216

Follow us on:
[Twitter]<https://twitter.com/uchicago_rcc>             [Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/The-University-of-Chicago-Research-Computing-Center-498755713533665/>

Please share this announcement with any faculty, staff, or students who may be interested.

Benjamin Recchie
Communications, Outreach, and Project Manager, Research Computing Center
The University of Chicago
5607 S. Drexel E 58th St., Room 38
Chicago, IL 60637

E: bcrecchi at uchicago.edu