[Colloquium] Re: REMINDER: 11/14 TTIC Colloquium: Patrick La Riviere, University of Chicago

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 14 10:50:38 CST 2016

When:     Monday, November 14th at 11:00 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:      Patrick La Riviere, University of Chicago

Title: Image Reconstruction in Computed Tomography and Multiview
Computational Microscopy

Abstract: In this presentation I will give an overview of some recent
developments in image reconstruction for computed tomography (CT) and
multiview computational microscopy.  In CT, computational advances have
finally made it possible to implement iterative algorithms in clinical
settings, allowing for better modeling of physical degradations and higher
tolerance for noisier raw data. This allows for dose reductions in standard
CT acquisition and enables novel energy- and time-sensitive acquisitions.
Microscopy has recently also moved toward becoming a computational
modality, with the use of coded illumination patterns, superresolution
strategies, and multi-view techniques to isotropize resolution. I will
focus on light-sheet microscopy, which allows for rapid volumetric imaging
of live organisms such as worms and zebrafish. As in CT, dose is a concern
in live microscopy because the intense laser illumination can bleach
fluorescent molecules and even kill the organisms.  The use of iterative
deconvolution and reconstruction algorithms can recover high-quality images
from low-intensity illuminations.

Host: David McAllester, mcallester at ttic.edu

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php