[Colloquium] 6/3 Research at TTIC: Qixing Huang, TTIC

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Fri May 27 18:15:29 CDT 2016

When:     Friday, June 3rd at noon

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:      Qixing Huang, TTIC

Title:   Dense Correspondences in the Era of Deep Learning

Abstract: Deep learning has flooded almost every corner of computer
vision/graphics. However, when talking about the important task of
establishing dense correspondences across images/shapes (particularly
between different instances), the impact of deep learning remains limited.
In this context, the major technical challenges are 1) to handle partial
similarity and geometric/topological variability, and 2) to obtain
sufficient training data, as it is hard to label dense correspondence
one-by-one.

In the first part of the talk, I will describe a framework that learns
object embedding so that the corresponding points are close to each other
in the embedding space. This framework converts correspondence computation
as nearest neighbor search in the embedding space, and naturally addresses
the issues of partial similarity and shape variability. I will describe how
to apply this framework to build dense correspondences across partial scans
of human models, where the embedding maps are implemented as convolution
neural networks.

In the second part of the talk, we study how to learn dense correspondences
in an unsupervised manner. The guiding principle is to leverage the
cycle-consistency constraint, and learn image flows so that the composite
flows along cycles approximate the identity map.  In this way, the training
data is automatically computed from the input data. I will discuss how to
apply this idea to learn dense flows across images.

In both cases, experimental results show that the resulting dense
correspondences significantly outperform state-of-the-art pair-wise
techniques. I will also discuss future directions.

*Research at TTIC Seminar Series*

TTIC is hosting a weekly seminar series presenting the research currently
underway at the Institute. Every week a different TTIC faculty member will
present their research.  The lectures are intended both for students
seeking research topics and adviser, and for the general TTIC and
University of Chicago communities interested in hearing what their
colleagues are up to.

To receive announcements about the seminar series, please subscribe to the
mailing list: https://groups.google.com/a/ttic.edu/group/talks/subscribe

Speaker details can be found at: http://www.ttic.edu/tticseminar.php.

For additional questions, please contact David McAllester at
mcallester at ttic.edu