[Colloquium] REMINDER: 5/25 TTIC Colloquium: Nati Linial: Hebrew University

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Wed May 25 10:32:32 CDT 2016

*Please Note: Unusual Day and Time!*

When:     Wednesday, May 25th at 11:00 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Nati Linial: Hebrew University

Title:       High-dimensional Permutations and Discrepancy

Abstract: This is part of our ongoing effort to develop what we call
"High-dimensional combinatorics". In joint work with my (then) PhD student
Zur Luria several years ago, we introduced the notion of a high-dimensional
permutation. Briefly, we equate a permutation with a permutation matrix,
namely an nxn array of 0/1 in which every line (row or column) has exactly
one 1. A 2-dimensional permutation is defined as an nxnxn array of 0/1 in
which every line (row, column or shaft) has exactly one 1. It is not hard
to see that 2D permutation is synonymous with a Latin square, and the
notion of a d-dimensional permutation suggests itself very naturally. By
now we have resolved quite a few basic problems concerning high-dimensional
permutations, and in this lecture I will emphasize the emerging questions
concerning low-discrepancy high-dimensional permutation. Without going into
technical details, we wish the 1's in the array to be as "uniformly spread
out" as possible. This raises many fascinating challenges as I will try to
explain. For example, we still do not know how to randomly generate
high-dimensional permutations and what their typical properties are. It is
conceivable that random high-dimensional permutations minimize discrepancy,
but we are still far from resolving this.

Host: Julia Chuzhoy, cjulia at ttic.edu

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php