[Colloquium] REMINDER: 5/13 Research at TTIC: Ofer Meshi, TTIC

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Fri May 13 11:35:15 CDT 2016

When:     Friday, May 13th at noon

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:      Ofer Meshi, TTIC

Title:
Optimization and Tightness of Convex Relaxations for Structured Output
Prediction

Abstract:
Modern applications of machine learning involve reasoning about complex
objects like images, videos, and large documents. In this talk I will focus
on prediction problems in such high-dimensional structured output spaces.
These problems are generally intractable, but can be approximated
efficiently via convex relaxations. I will present two recent works on
these approximations. In the first work we apply tools from convex
optimization and exploit the special structure of these problems to obtain
efficient inference algorithms which also come with improved convergence
guarantees. The second work complements the first one by providing a
theoretical justification for using these convex relaxations in the first
place. Specifically, it has been observed that the relaxations are often
tight in real applications, and I will present an original theoretical
analysis for this interesting phenomenon.

*************************************************************************************************************
*Research at TTIC Seminar Series*

TTIC is hosting a weekly seminar series presenting the research currently
underway at the Institute. Every week a different TTIC faculty member will
present their research.  The lectures are intended both for students
seeking research topics and adviser, and for the general TTIC and
University of Chicago communities interested in hearing what their
colleagues are up to.

To receive announcements about the seminar series, please subscribe to the
mailing list: https://groups.google.com/a/ttic.edu/group/talks/subscribe

Speaker details can be found at: http://www.ttic.edu/tticseminar.php.

For additional questions, please contact David McAllester at
mcallester at ttic.edu