[Colloquium] REMINDER: 5/11 Young Researcher Seminar Series: Saurabh Gupta, UC Berkeley

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Wed May 11 10:51:00 CDT 2016

When:     Wednesday, May 11th at 11am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Saurabh Gupta, UC Berkeley

Title: Scene Understanding from RGB-D Images

Abstract: In this talk, I will talk about detailed scene understanding from
RGB-D images. We approach this problem by studying central computer vision
problems like bottom-up grouping, object detection, instance segmentation,
pose estimation in context of RGB-D images, and finally aligning CAD models
to objects in the scene. This results in a detailed output which goes
beyond what most current computer vision algorithms produce, and is useful
for real world applications like perceptual robotics, and augmented
reality. A central question in this work is how to learn good features for
depth images in view of the fact that labeled RGB-D datasets are much
smaller than labeled RGB datasets (such as ImageNet) typically used for
feature learning. To this end I will describe our technique called
"cross-modal distillation" which allows us to leverage easily available
annotations on RGB images to learn representations on depth images. In
addition, I will also briefly talk about some work on vision and language
that I did on an internship at Microsoft Research.

Bio: Saurabh Gupta is a Ph.D. student at UC Berkeley, where he is advised
by Jitendra Malik. His research interests include computer vision and
machine learning. During his PhD he has studied the problem of scene
understanding from RGB-D images. His work has been supported by the
Berkeley Fellowship and the Google Fellowship in Computer Vision.

Host: Greg Shakhnarovich, greg at ttic.edu

The TTIC Young Researcher Seminar Series (
http://www.ttic.edu/young-researcher.php) features talks by Ph.D. students
and postdocs whose research is of broad interest to the computer science
community. The series provides an opportunity for early-career researchers
to present recent work to and meet with students and faculty at TTIC and
nearby universities.

The seminars are typically held on Wednesdays at 11:00am in TTIC Room 526.

For additional information, please contact Matthew Walter (mwalter at ttic.edu
).