[Colloquium] 5/16 TTIC Colloquium: Sanjeev J. Koppal, University of Florida

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Tue May 10 15:33:51 CDT 2016

When:     Monday, May 16th at 11:00 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Speaker:  Sanjeev J. Koppal, University of Florida

Title: Privacy Preserving Optics for Miniature Vision Sensors

Abstract: The next wave of micro and nano devices will create a world with
trillions of small networked cameras. This will lead to increased concerns
about privacy and security. Most privacy preserving algorithms for computer
vision are applied after image/video data has been captured. We propose to
use privacy preserving optics that filter or block sensitive information
directly from the incident light-field before sensor measurements are made,
adding a new layer of privacy. In addition to balancing the privacy and
utility of the captured data, we address trade-offs unique to miniature
vision sensors, such as achieving high-quality field-of-view and resolution
within the constraints of mass and volume. Our privacy preserving optics
enable applications such as depth sensing, full-body motion tracking,
people counting, blob detection and privacy preserving face recognition
(see video below). While we demonstrate applications on macroscale devices
(smartphones, webcams, etc.) our theory has impact for smaller devices.

Bio: Sanjeev J. Koppal is an assistant professor at the University of
Florida’s ECE department. Prior to joining UF, he was a researcher at the
Texas Instruments Imaging R&D lab. Sanjeev obtained his Masters and Ph.D.
degrees from the Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University, where
his adviser was Prof. Srinivasa Narasimhan. After CMU, he was a
post-doctoral research associate in the School of Engineering and Applied
Sciences at Harvard University, with Prof. Todd Zickler. He received his
B.S. degree from the University of Southern California in 2003. His
interests span computer vision, computational photography and optics and
include novel cameras and sensors, 3D reconstruction, physics-based vision
and active illumination.

Host: Ayan Chakrabarti

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php