[Colloquium] REMINDER: 3/2 Young Researcher Seminar Series: David Held, Stanford

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Wed Mar 2 10:34:02 CST 2016

When:     Wednesday, March 2nd at 11am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       David Held, Stanford

Title:        Using Motion to Understand Objects in the Real World

Abstract:
Many robots today are confined to operate in relatively simple, controlled
environments.  One reason for this is that current methods for processing
visual data tend to break down when faced with occlusions, viewpoint
changes, poor lighting, and other challenging but common situations that
occur when robots are placed in the real world.  I will show that we can
train robots to handle these variations by modeling the causes behind
visual appearance changes.  If we model how the world changes over time, we
can be robust to the types of changes that objects often undergo.  I
demonstrate this idea in the context of autonomous driving, and I show how
we can use this idea to improve performance on three different tasks:
velocity estimation, segmentation, and tracking with neural networks.  By
modeling the causes of appearance changes over time, we can make our
methods more robust to a variety of challenging situations that commonly
occur in the real-world, thus enabling robots to come out of the factory
and into our lives.

Host: David McAllester, mcallester at ttic.edu  <mcallester at ttic.edu>

The TTIC Young Researcher Seminar Series (
http://www.ttic.edu/young-researcher.php) features talks by Ph.D. students
and postdocs whose research is of broad interest to the computer science
community. The series provides an opportunity for early-career researchers
to present recent work to and meet with students and faculty at TTIC and
nearby universities.

The seminars are typically held on Wednesdays at 11:00am in TTIC Room 526.

For additional information, please contact Matthew Walter (mwalter at ttic.edu
).