[Colloquium] 1/18 Talks at TTIC: John Wright, CMU

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Wed Jan 13 14:50:27 CST 2016

When:     Monday, January 18th at 11:00 am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       John Wright, CMU

Title:     Random Words, Longest Increasing Subsequences, and Quantum PCA

Abstract:
Suppose you have access to iid samples from an unknown probability
distribution $p = (p_1, …, p_d)$ on $[d]$, and you want to learn or test
something about it.  For example, if one wants to estimate $p$ itself, then
the empirical distribution will suffice when the number of samples, $n$, is
$O(d/epsilon^2)$.  In general, you can ask many more specific questions
about $p$---Is it close to some known distribution $q$?  Does it have high
entropy?  etc. etc.----and for many of these questions the optimal sample
complexity has only been determined over the last $10$ years in the
computer science literature.

The natural quantum version of these problems involves being given samples
of an unknown $d$-dimensional quantum mixed state $\rho$, which is a $d
\times d$ PSD matrix with trace $1$. Many questions from learning and
testing probability carry over naturally to this setting.  In this talk, we
will focus on the most basic of these questions: how many samples of $\rho$
are necessary to produce a good approximation of it?  Our main result is an
algorithm for learning $\rho$ with optimal sample complexity.  Furthermore,
in the case when $\rho$ is almost low-rank, we show how to perform PCA on
it with optimal sample complexity.

Surprisingly, we are able to reduce the analysis of our algorithm to
questions dealing with the combinatorics of longest increasing subsequences
(LISes) in random words.  In particular, the main technical question we
have to solve is this: given a random word $w \in [d]^n$, where each letter
$w_i$ is drawn iid from some distribution $p$, what do we expect
$\mathrm{LIS}(w)$ to be? Answering this question requires diversions into
the RSK algorithm, representation theory of the symmetric group, the theory
of symmetric polynomials, and many other interesting areas.

This is joint work with Ryan O'Donnell.

Host: Madhur Tulsiani, madhurt at ttic.edu