[Colloquium] 1/11 TTIC Colloquium: Gunnar Klau, CWI Amsterdam

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Tue Jan 5 17:31:13 CST 2016

*When: *    Monday, January 11th at 11:00 a.m.

*Where:*    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Speaker:*  Gunnar Klau, CWI Amsterdam

*Title:* Mining Gummi Bears in One and Two Jars

*Abstract: *Integrative network analysis methods provide robust
interpretations of
high-throughput molecular profile measurements in the context of gene
networks.  Active subnetwork modules are sets of genes that are
responsible for observed phenotypic changes. In our model, finding
the most active subnetwork is equivalent to finding a maximum weight
connected subgraph (MWCS) with respect to appropriate gene
scores. MWCS is NP-hard. In this talk, I will describe Heinz, an exact
approach to this problem based on graph-decomposition and integer
linear programming, and eXamine, a Cytoscape app to explore the
resulting modules. I will illustrate the methods by means of an
application to virally deregulated signaling.

I will also report about recent developments in the xHeinz project,
which explores novel concepts to find transferable modules between
model organism and human. Transferable modules are both active and
conserved. The model therefore needs to take aspects of comparative
network analysis into account.

Host: Stefan Canzar

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php