[Colloquium] REMINDER: 2/29 TTIC Colloquium: Shmuel Weinberger, University of Chicago

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Mon Feb 29 11:07:33 CST 2016

When:     Monday, February 29th at 11:00 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Speaker:  Shmuel Weinberger, University of Chicago

Title:          Topological Sampling Problems.

Abstract:  There are a number of areas where one has problems where one
wants to infer the structure of an object from some samples of it:  Given
old fashioned newsprint (or a pointillist masterpiece) we see a picture,
which we mathematically idealize as some sort of curve or higher
dimensional object.  I will discuss sampling a donut and having it too.

(This talk will be very much a survey of ideas of my own and others.  I
will discuss some old joint work with Partha Niyogi and Steve Smale, and
more recent work with Robert Adler, Yuliy Baryshnikov, Omer Bobrowski,
Sunder Krishnan, Jonathan Taylor among others, but probably the most
interesting parts will be the work of others that I get to explain or
mention.)

Host: Alexander Razborov, razborov at cs.uchicago.edu

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php