[Colloquium] REMINDER: 2/19 Talks at TTIC: Suriya Gunasekar, University of Texas at Austin

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Thu Feb 18 15:00:58 CST 2016

When:     Friday, February 19th at 11:00 am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Suriya Gunasekar, University of Texas at Austin

Title:       Mining Structured Matrices in High Dimensions

Abstract:
High dimensional matrix estimation, including the special case of matrix
completion, involves inferring a structured matrix from a small number of
observations. In the first part of the talk, we consider substantial
generalizations of the widely studied problem of  matrix completion
motivated by applications in healthcare, neurosciences, and eCommerce.
Estimators for matrix completion with observations from heterogeneous
data--types, such as count, binary, etc., heterogeneous
noise models beyond additive Gaussian, and generalized structures beyond
simple low rankness are discussed. The second part of the talk focuses on
applications of structured matrix estimation beyond the task of completion.
We first look at algorithms and applications of matrix completion in a
learning to rank scenario where in the input is in the form of partial
rankings, and finally, discuss application of structured factor estimation
for phenotyping from electronic health records (EHRs).

Host: Nathan Srebro, nati at ttic.edu