[Colloquium] REMINDER: 2/17 Young Researcher Seminar Series: Uri Shalit, NYU

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Tue Feb 16 19:43:21 CST 2016

When:     Wednesday, February 17th at 11am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Uri Shalit, NYU

Title: Machine Learning for Observational Studies

Abstract: The proliferation of data collection in the healthcare,
educational, and economic spheres, brings with it opportunities for
extracting new knowledge with concrete policy implications. Examples
include identifying best medical practices from electronic healthcare
records, or understanding the implications of different teaching techniques
from board of education surveys. Such policy decisions often hinge on
understanding causal links - does medication A cause better outcomes than
medication B? However, unlike randomized studies where a treatment is
assigned to a random subpopulation, learning causal links from these
so-called “observational studies” is difficult, because confounding factors
might obscure the true causal links underlying the observed data.

In this talk I will discuss observational studies from a machine learning
perspective. I will then show how we use machine learning techniques to try
and learn causal relationships from these studies. Specifically we will
discuss two methods: one based on using integral probability metrics to
optimally re-weigh the data, and the other based on learning a balanced
representation, using ideas from domain adaptation.

Host: Natha Srebro, nati at ttic.edu

The TTIC Young Researcher Seminar Series (
http://www.ttic.edu/young-researcher.php) features talks by Ph.D. students
and postdocs whose research is of broad interest to the computer science
community. The series provides an opportunity for early-career researchers
to present recent work to and meet with students and faculty at TTIC and
nearby universities.

The seminars are typically held on Wednesdays at 11:00am in TTIC Room 526.

For additional information, please contact Matthew Walter (mwalter at ttic.edu
).