[Colloquium] REMINDER: 2/5 Research at TTIC: Karen Livescu, TTIC

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Thu Feb 4 16:31:53 CST 2016

When:     Friday, February 5th at noon

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:      Karen Livescu, TTIC

Title:
Toward Neural Segmental Sequence Models

Abstract:
Many sequence prediction tasks---such as automatic speech recognition and
video analysis---involve inferring and labeling contiguous segments of
multiple time frames.  However, state-of-the-art models for such tasks
still operate one time frame at a time, typically relying on hidden Markov
models (HMMs) to combine frame-level features.  One way of utilizing
long-range features is through segmental (semi-Markov) models such
as segmental conditional random fields.  Such models have had some success,
but have been constrained by the computational needs of considering all
possible segmentations.  We have been developing new
large-margin segmental models, with features based
on neural segment embeddings, that are efficient enough for first-pass
decoding.  In our initial work with these models, we have found that they
outperform frame-based HMM/deep network baselines on two disparate tasks,
phonetic recognition and sign language recognition from video.  I will
present the models and their results on these tasks, as well as related
recent work on neural segmental acoustic word embeddings.

This is joint work with Hao Tang, Taehwan Kim, Herman Kamper, Weiran Wang,
and Kevin Gimpel

*Research at TTIC Seminar Series*

TTIC is hosting a weekly seminar series presenting the research currently
underway at the Institute. Every week a different TTIC faculty member will
present their research.  The lectures are intended both for students
seeking research topics and adviser, and for the general TTIC and
University of Chicago communities interested in hearing what their
colleagues are up to.

To receive announcements about the seminar series, please subscribe to the
mailing list: https://groups.google.com/a/ttic.edu/group/talks/subscribe

Speaker details can be found at: http://www.ttic.edu/tticseminar.php.

For additional questions, please contact David McAllester at
mcallester at ttic.edu