[Colloquium] REMINDER: 2/3 Young Researcher Seminar Series: Yajie Miao, CMU

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Tue Feb 2 17:05:38 CST 2016

When:     Wednesday, February 3rd at 11am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Yajie Miao, CMU

Title:        End-to-End Speech Recognition using Deep LSTMs, CTC Training
and WFST Decoding

Abstract:

Deep learning has tremendously improved the performance of automatic speech
recognition (ASR). Despite this progress, developing ASR systems remains a
challenging task, requiring various resources, multiple training stages
and significant expertise. This talk will present Eesen, an end-to-end ASR
framework which drastically simplifies the existing speech recognition
paradigm. Acoustic modeling in Eesen involves learning a single deep Long
Short-Term Memory (LSTM) network predicting context-independent phonemes or
characters. We adopt the connectionist temporal classification (CTC)
objective function to learn the alignments between speech and label
sequences. A nice property of Eesen is a generalized decoding method based
on weighted finite-state transducers (WFSTs), which enables the efficient
incorporation of lexicons and language models into CTC decoding. With
experiments on various datasets and languages, we will see that our
end-to-end systems achieve comparable recognition accuracy to the
state-of-the-art hybrid approach. In addition, we will present empirical
analysis to shed light on how CTC training behaves under different
conditions.

Host: Karen Livescu, klivescu at ttic.edu

The TTIC Young Researcher Seminar Series (
http://www.ttic.edu/young-researcher.php) features talks by Ph.D. students
and postdocs whose research is of broad interest to the computer science
community. The series provides an opportunity for early-career researchers
to present recent work to and meet with students and faculty at TTIC and
nearby universities.

The seminars are typically held on Wednesdays at 11:00am in TTIC Room 526.

For additional information, please contact Matthew Walter (mwalter at ttic.edu
).