[Colloquium] 5/6 Talks at TTIC: Christos Christodoulopoulos, UIUC

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Fri Apr 29 15:50:09 CDT 2016

When:     Friday, May 6th at 11:00 am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:      Christos Christodoulopoulos, UIUC

Title: Cognitive and Application-Driven Machine Learning for Natural
Language

Abstract: The assumptions and structures that help us with applied NLP
tasks do not usually comply with how language is learned/cognitively
represented. while these NLP approaches are useful in that they produce
practical systems, they require expensive, manually-annotated data, which
limits their application to a handful of resource-rich languages.
Furthermore, they sidestep the more interesting scientific question of how
humans are able to perform these tasks without access to explicitly
annotated data, and how the structures align or differ across languages.

In this talk I will describe my recent work in cognitive and
application-driven language research. I will present Extended SRL: a
modular semantic representation framework of independently trained, jointly
inferred models that supports large-scale textual inference, and Baby SRL:
a way of inducing semantic representations in a language acquisition
setting. I will also connect these two projects to answer the question of
how rich representations such as those in E-SRL can be derived without
supervision. I will describe an end-to-end unsupervised learning system
that -- with minimal feedback -- can produce a fully structured
predicate-argument representation. This research shows the potential
advances of unifying these two threads of research: on the one hand, by
producing better cognitive models of language processing and other the
other, by creating cognitively-inspired, language-agnostic semantic
annotation systems.

Host: Kevin Gimpel, kgimpel at ttic.edu