[Colloquium] 4/8 Research at TTIC: Kevin Gimpel, TTIC

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Fri Apr 1 16:23:28 CDT 2016

When:     Friday, April 8th at noon

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:      Kevin Gimpel, TTIC

Title:       Learning Concise Representations of Textual Knowledge

Abstract:
Knowledge bases and other curated resources offer a wealth of potential
value for artificial intelligence, especially for natural language
understanding applications.  These resources often consist of large sets of
manually-entered fragments of knowledge in textual format, and are
typically constructed manually over a period of many years.  They contain a
great deal of useful information with a high degree of precision, but lack
coverage, especially for emergent textual genres and domains.  I will
discuss our recent research in learning to represent the knowledge in such
resources using parametric models based on neural networks.  In particular,
I will discuss learning representations of ConceptNet, a manually-developed
resource of commonsense knowledge, and of the Paraphrase Database, an
automatically-developed resource of paraphrase pairs.

This is joint work with John Wieting, Xiang Li, Aynaz Taheri, Lifu Tu,
Mohit Bansal, and Karen Livescu.

*Research at TTIC Seminar Series*

TTIC is hosting a weekly seminar series presenting the research currently
underway at the Institute. Every week a different TTIC faculty member will
present their research.  The lectures are intended both for students
seeking research topics and adviser, and for the general TTIC and
University of Chicago communities interested in hearing what their
colleagues are up to.

To receive announcements about the seminar series, please subscribe to the
mailing list: https://groups.google.com/a/ttic.edu/group/talks/subscribe

Speaker details can be found at: http://www.ttic.edu/tticseminar.php.

For additional questions, please contact David McAllester at mcallester at ttic
.edu