[Colloquium] Suminto/MS Presentation/Sep 28, 2015

Margaret Jaffey margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 14 13:45:26 CDT 2015

This is an announcement of Riza Suminto's MS Presentation.

Date:  Monday, September 28, 2015

Time:  3:00 PM

Place:  Ryerson 277

M.S. Candidate:  Riza Suminto

M.S. Paper Title: TOWARDS PRE-DEPLOYMENT DETECTION OF PERFORMANCE
FAILURES IN CLOUD DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS

Abstract:
Today’s cloud systems are susceptible to performance failures, a
situation where a system does not deliver the expected performance.
Many existing work focus on in-deployment tracing and monitoring and
post-mortem analysis, but these methods are ”passive” as they only
work when performance bugs surface. In our work, we first study many
critical performance bugs that had happened in scalable distributed
systems such as Hadoop, HDFS, and HBase. We find that perfor- mance
bugs happen in complex deployment scenarios and we need a fast and
relatively complete approach that can verify the performance stability
of a target system against many deployment scenarios. We present
System Performance Verifier (SPV) which detects performance bugs prior
to deployment. SPV takes real system code and automatically generates
models that can be fed into formal modeling tools such as Colored
Petri Nets. Then, we can permute many possible deployment scenarios
and unearth complex performance bugs.

Riza's advisor is Prof. Haryadi Gunawi

Login to the Computer Science Department website for details:
 https://www.cs.uchicago.edu/phd/ms_announcements#riza

Margaret P. Jaffey            margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (Ry 156)               (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago      http://www.cs.uchicago.edu