[Colloquium] 10/15 TTIC Distinguished Lecture Series: William T. Freeman, MIT

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Thu Oct 8 16:34:06 CDT 2015

*Distinguished Lecture Series: William T. Freeman, MIT*

 [image: Inline image 1]

*Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 11:00 am*

*Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago*

*6045 S. Kenwood Avenue*

*Room #526​*

*William T. Freeman, PhD*; Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer
Science,
Member of Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL)

Massachusetts Institute of Technology, (MIT)

*Title:* A Big World of Tiny Motions

*Abstract: *We have developed a "motion microscope" to visualize small
motions by synthesizing a video with the desired motions amplified.  The
project began as an algorithm to amplify small color changes in videos,
allowing color changes from blood flow to be visualized. Modifications to
this algorithm allow small motions to be amplified in a video.  I'll
describe the algorithms, and show color-magnified videos of adults and
babies, and motion-magnified videos of throats, pipes, cars, smoke, and
pregnant bellies.  These algorithms are being used in biological, civil,
and mechanical engineering applications.

Having this tool led us to explore other vision problems involving tiny
motions.  I'll describe recent work in analyzing fluid flow and depth by
exploiting small motions in video or stereo video sequences caused by
refraction of turbulent air flow (joint work with the authors below and
Tianfan Xue, Anat Levin, and Hossein Mobahi).  We have also developed a
"visual microphone" to record sounds by watching objects, like a bag of
chips, vibrate (joint with the authors below and Abe Davis and Gautam
Mysore).

Collaborators:  Michael Rubinstein, Neal Wadhwa, and co-PI Fredo Durand.

*Bio:* William T. Freeman is Professor of Electrical Engineering and
Computer Science at MIT, and a member of the Computer Science and
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) there.  He is currently on a
partial leave from MIT, starting a computer vision group at Google in
Cambridge, MA.

His current research interests include machine learning applied to computer
vision, Bayesian models of visual perception, and computational
photography. He received outstanding paper awards at computer vision or
machine learning conferences in 1997, 2006, 2009 and 2012, and test-of-time
awards for papers from 1990 and 1995. Previous research topics include
steerable filters and pyramids, orientation histograms, the generic
viewpoint assumption, color constancy, computer vision for computer games,
and belief propagation in networks with loops.

He is active in the program or organizing committees of computer vision,
graphics, and machine learning conferences.  He was the program co-chair
for ICCV 2005, and for CVPR 2013.

Project web pages:

*http://people.csail.mit.edu/mrub/vidmag/
<http://people.csail.mit.edu/mrub/vidmag/>*