[Colloquium] REMINDER: 11/23 TTIC Colloquium: Lihi Zelnik-Manor, Technion / Cornell Tech

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Sun Nov 22 18:12:37 CST 2015

*When: *    Monday, November 23th at 11:00 a.m.

*Where:*    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Speaker:*  Lihi Zelnik-Manor, Technion / Cornell Tech

*Title:* Approximate Nearest Neighbor Methods in Computer Vision, Beyond L2

*Abstract:*
Many solutions to computer vision problems include performing numerous
searches for nearest neighbors in very-large data-sets. For example, the
data-set could consist of face images, motion trajectories, or image
patches. As the data-set size and the number of searches increase run-time
soon becomes an issue. It has thus become common to resort to approximate
solutions that compromise accuracy, but provide time efficiency. Most of
these solutions operate in L2 space. In this talk I will review some of the
work done in our group on Approximate Nearest Neighbor (ANN) search for
images and videos. Our algorithms target cases where the distance measure
between entries is not necessarily L2. I will show three different
solutions, relevant for a variety of applications, including real-time
video processing.

*Bio:*
Lihi Zelnik-Manor is an Associate Professor in the Faculty of Electrical
Engineering in the Technion, Israel. Currently she is a visitor at
CornellTech. Prior to the Technion, she worked as a post-doctoral fellow in
the Department of Engineering and Applied Science in the California
Institute of Technology (Caltech). She holds a PhD and MSc (with honors) in
Computer Science from the Weizmann Institute of Science and a BSc (summa
cum laude) in Mechanical Engineering from the Technion.
Prof. Zelnik-Manor’s awards and honors include the Israeli high-education
planning and budgeting committee (Vatat) scholarship for outstanding Ph.D.
students, the Sloan-Swartz postdoctoral fellowship, the best Student Paper
Award at the IEEE SMI'05, the AIM at SHAPE Best Paper Award 2005 and the
Outstanding Reviewer Award at CVPR'08. She is also a recipient of the
Gutwirth prize for the promotion of research and several grants from ISF,
MOST, the 7th European R&D Program, and others. Prof Zelnik-Manor has
served as Area Chair for ECCV and CVPR multiple times, as Program Chair of
CVPR’16 and as Associate Editor at TPAMI. She has further had industrial
collaborations with Intel, Adobe, and Microsoft Research.

Host: Greg Shakhnarovich

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php