[Colloquium] TTIC Colloquium: Amit Singer, Princeton University (NOTE UNUSUAL DAY)

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Fri May 29 09:40:09 CDT 2015

When:     Thursday, June 4th at 11:00 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Amit Singer, Princeton University

Title:       Robust Camera Location Estimation by Convex Programming

Abstract: 3D structure recovery from a collection of 2D images requires the
estimation of the camera locations and orientations, i.e. the camera
motion. For large, irregular collections of images, existing methods for the
location estimation part, which can be formulated as the inverse problem of
estimating n locations t_1, …, t_n from noisy measurements of a subset of
the pairwise directions t_i – t_j / |t_i – t_j|, are sensitive to outliers
in direction measurements. In this talk, we provide a complete
characterization of well-posed instances of the location estimation
problem, by presenting its relation to the existing theory of parallel
rigidity. For robust estimation of camera locations, we introduce a
two-step approach, comprised of a pairwise direction estimation method
robust to outliers in point correspondences between image pairs, and a
convex program to maintain robustness to outlier directions. We will also
discuss connection to the problem of ranking from ordinal pairwise
measurements.
Joint work with Onur Ozyesil.

Hosts: Nathan Srebro and Qixing Huang

*p:(773) 834-1757 <%28773%29%20834-1757>*
*f: (773) 357-6970 <%28773%29%20357-6970>*