[Colloquium] Zhang/MS Presentation/May 28, 2015

Margaret Jaffey margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu May 14 10:38:54 CDT 2015

This is an announcement of Huazhe Zhang's MS Presentation.

Date:  Thursday, May 28, 2015

Time:  12:00 PM

Place:  Ryerson 276

M.S. Candidate:  Huazhe Zhang

M.S. Paper Title: Maximizing Performance Under a Power Cap

Abstract:
As the performance of multicore server system is limited by thermal
constraint, power management becomes increasingly important. Moreover,
at the scale of datacenter, power delivering and cooling devices are
over-provisioned due to the lack of power limit guarantee. Therefore,
the needs for power management of multicore server system are two
folds: 1. strictly cap the power to desired level 2. maximize the
performance under the power cap. In response to such urgent demand,
both software and hardware approaches are proposed. Software
approaches is flexible, coordinating multiple hardware resource to
achieve maximal performance, but they converge slowly. In contrast,
Hardware approaches react fast and cap the power strictly. However,
they only adjust DVFS and may only achieve sub-optimal performance.

In this work we propose PUPiL, a hybrid software/hardware power
capping system. Unlike previous approaches, PUPiL combines the
hardware’s fast reaction and software’s flexibility. We implement
PUPiL on real Linux/x86 platform and compare it to Intel's commercial
hardware power capping system for both single and multi-application
workloads. We find PUPiL provides the same reaction time as Intel's
hardware with significantly higher performance. On average, PUPiL
outperforms hardware by from 1.10x—-2.4x depending on workload and
power target. Thus, PUPiL provides a promising way to enforce power
caps with greater performance than current state-of-the-art hardware
approaches.

Huazhe's advisor is Prof. Henry Hoffmann

Login to the Computer Science Department website for details:
 https://www.cs.uchicago.edu/phd/ms_announcements#huazhe

Margaret P. Jaffey            margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (Ry 156)               (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago      http://www.cs.uchicago.edu