[Colloquium] TODAY! Talks at TTIC: Taehwan Kim, TTIC

Dawn Ellis dellis at ttic.edu
Tue Mar 31 10:17:29 CDT 2015

When:     Tuesday, March 31st at 3pm

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Taehwan Kim, TTIC

Title:       A Decision Tree Framework for Spatiotemporal Sequence
Prediction

Abstract:

We study the problem of learning to predict a spatiotemporal output
sequence given an input sequence. In contrast to conventional sequence
prediction problems such as part-of-speech tagging (where output sequences
are selected using a relatively small set of discrete labels), our goal is
to predict sequences that lie within a high-dimensional continuous output
space. We present a decision tree framework for learning an accurate
non-parametric spatiotemporal sequence predictor. Our approach enjoys
several attractive properties, including ease of training, fast performance
at test time, and the ability to robustly tolerate corrupted training data
using a novel latent variable approach. We evaluate on several datasets,
and demonstrate substantial improvements over existing decision tree based
sequence learning frameworks such as SEARN and DAgger. In addition, we
present the application of our approach to generating realistic speech
animation from a variety of voices with mesh deformation transfer.

Joint work with Yisong Yue, Sarah Taylor, Iain Matthews and Barry Theobald.

--
*Dawn Ellis*
Administrative Coordinator,
dellis at ttic.edu