[Colloquium] REMINDER: Talks at TTIC: Hamed Pirsiavash, MIT

Dawn Ellis dellis at ttic.edu
Thu Mar 12 08:29:12 CDT 2015

When:     Friday, March 13, 2015 at 11am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Hamed Pirsiavash, MIT

Title:       Visual understanding of human actions

Abstract:
The aim of computer vision is to develop algorithms for computers to “see”
and understand the world as humans do. Central to this goal is
understanding human behavior; for instance, in order for a robot to
interact with humans, it should understand our actions to produce the
desirable response. As such, my work explores several directions in
computationally representing and understanding human actions.

In this talk, I will focus on the problems of detecting actions and judging
their quality. First, I will describe simple grammars for modeling
long-scale temporal structure in human actions. Real-world videos are
typically composed of multiple action instances, where each instance is
itself composed of sub-actions with variable durations and orderings. Our
grammar models capture such hierarchical structure while admitting
efficient, linear-time parsing algorithms for action detection. The second
part of the talk will describe our algorithms for going beyond detecting
actions to actually judging how well they are performed. Our learning-based
framework can both judge and provide feedback to performers to improve the
quality of their actions.

Host:  Matthew Walter, mwalter at ttic.edu

--
*Dawn Ellis*