[Colloquium] 8/3 TTIC Colloquium: Tomer Michaeli; Technion

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Mon Jul 27 16:27:00 CDT 2015

When:     Monday, August 3rd at 11:00 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:      Tomer Michaeli, Technion

Title:       Blind deblurring and blind super-resolution using internal
patch recurrence

Abstract:
Small image patches tend to recur at multiple scales within
high-quality natural images. This fractal-like behavior has been used in
the past for various tasks including image compression, super-resolution
and denoising. In this talk, I will show that this phenomenon can also be
harnessed for "blind deblurring"  and for "blind super-resolution", that
is, for removing blur or increasing resolution without a-priori knowledge
of the associated blur kernel. It turns out that the cross-scale patch
recurrence property is strong only in images taken under ideal imaging
conditions, but significantly diminishes when the imaging conditions
deviate from ideal ones. Therefore, the deviations from ideal
patch recurrence actually provide information on the unknown camera blur
kernel. More specifically, we show that the correct blur kernel is the one
which maximizes the similarity between patches across scales of the image.
Extensive experiments indicate that our approach leads to state of the art
results, both in deblurring and in super-resolution.

Joint work with Michal Irani.

*Host:* Karen Livescu

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php

*p:(773) 834-1757 <%28773%29%20834-1757>*
*f: (773) 357-6970 <%28773%29%20357-6970>*