[Colloquium] 9/4 TTIC Colloquium: Slav Petrov; Google Research

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Fri Aug 28 11:45:21 CDT 2015

When:     Friday, September 4th at 11:00 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Speaker:  Slav Petrov; Google Research NYC

Title: Towards Universal Syntactic Processing of Natural Language

Abstract: In this talk I will describe some ongoing work towards a
universal representation of morphology and syntax that makes it possible to
model different languages in a consistent way. I will then describe some
approaches for learning accurate and fast syntactic parsers from treebanks,
and also how to effective leverage additional unlabeled data, especially in
the context of high-capacity neural network learners. Finally, I will
highlight some examples of how we have successfully used syntax at Google
to improve downstream applications like question answering and machine
translation. This work is carried out at Google by teams in New York,
Mountain View and London.

Bio: Slav Petrov is a researcher in Google's New York office, leading a
team that works on syntactic parsing and its applications to information
extraction, question answering and machine translation. He holds a PhD
degree from UC Berkeley, where he worked with Dan Klein. Before that he
completed a Master's degree at the Free University of Berlin and was a
member of the FU-Fighters team that won the RoboCup world championship in
2004. His work on fast and accurate multilingual syntactic analysis was
recognized with best paper awards at ACL 2011 and NAACL 2012. He received
the John Atanasoff Award by the President of Bulgaria in 2014. Slav also
teaches Statistical Natural Language Processing at New York University.

*Host:* Mohit Bansal

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php

*p:(773) 834-1757 <%28773%29%20834-1757>*
*f: (773) 357-6970 <%28773%29%20357-6970>*