[Colloquium] REMINDER: 8/17 TTIC Colloquium: Lev Reyzin, University of Illinois at Chicago

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Sun Aug 16 17:54:23 CDT 2015

When:     Monday, August 17th at 11:00 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Speaker:  Lev Reyzin, University of Illinois at Chicago

Title:       Sampling Strategies for Feature-Efficient and Active Learning

Abstract:

In this talk, we consider two different problems related to learning under
budget constraints, and we present sampling algorithms for both.  The first
problem involves machine learning under a budget constraint on the number
of features that can be examined at test-time.  We propose a couple
powerful approaches using modifications of the boosting framework.  The
second problem involves the standard active learning setting, where the
learning algorithm is naturally budgeted on training data.  Here, we show
how sampling strategies based on adversarial games can lead to drastic
improvements over standard uncertainty sampling and related techniques.  In
both cases we give theoretical analyses and empirical evaluations.

This work is based on two papers.  The first appeared in IJCAI'15 and is
joint work with Yi Huang and Brian Powers; the second appeared in AAAI'15
and is joint work with Anqi Liu and Brian Ziebart.

*Host*: Greg Shakhnarovich

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php