[Colloquium] REMINDER: Talks at TTIC: Daifeng Wang, Yale University

Jinbo Xu jinbo.xu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 11:00:53 CDT 2015

When:     Monday, April 27th at 11am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Daifeng Wang, Yale University

Title:       Systems analysis of gene regulation

Abstract:

The rapidly increasing quantity of biological data offers novel and diverse
resources to study biological functions at the system level. Integrating
and mining these various large-scale datasets is both a central priority
and a great challenge for the field of systems biology. Achieving this
ambitious goal necessitates the development of specialized computational
approaches. In this talk, I will present three novel computational
approaches to study gene expression and regulation with applications to
developmental biology, biomedicine and bioenergy: 1) an algorithm to
simultaneously cluster gene co-expression networks across multiple species,
discovering the conserved and species-specific gene and non-coding RNA
modules along with their developmental hourglass behaviors; 2) a
logic-circuit based method to identify the genome-wide logical
cooperativity among gene regulatory factors; 3) an integrated method using
the state-space model and dimensionality reduction to identify principal
gene expression dynamic patterns driven by different subsystems of a gene
regulatory network. In addition, I will discuss the future directions where
computational and bioinformatics approaches can make a significant impact
in systems biology.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 9:15 AM, Dawn Ellis <dellis at ttic.edu> wrote:

> When:     Monday, April 27th at 11am
>
> Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526
>
> Who:       Daifeng Wang, Yale University
>
> Title:       Systems analysis of gene regulation
>
> Abstract:
>
> The rapidly increasing quantity of biological data offers novel and
> diverse resources to study biological functions at the system level.
> Integrating and mining these various large-scale datasets is both a central
> priority and a great challenge for the field of systems biology. Achieving
> this ambitious goal necessitates the development of specialized
> computational approaches. In this talk, I will present three novel
> computational approaches to study gene expression and regulation with
> applications to developmental biology, biomedicine and bioenergy: 1) an
> algorithm to simultaneously cluster gene co-expression networks across
> multiple species, discovering the conserved and species-specific gene and
> non-coding RNA modules along with their developmental hourglass behaviors;
> 2) a logic-circuit based method to identify the genome-wide logical
> cooperativity among gene regulatory factors; 3) an integrated method using
> the state-space model and dimensionality reduction to identify principal
> gene expression dynamic patterns driven by different subsystems of a gene
> regulatory network. In addition, I will discuss the future directions where
> computational and bioinformatics approaches can make a significant impact
> in systems biology.
>
> **********************************
>
> Host:  Jinbo Xu, j3xu at ttic.edu
>
> --
> *Dawn Ellis*
> Administrative Coordinator,
> Bookkeeper
> 773-834-1757
> dellis at ttic.edu
>
> TTIC
> 6045 S. Kenwood Ave.
> Chicago, IL. 60637

> email to talks+unsubscribe at ttic.edu.

Associate Professor
Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago
6045 S. Kenwood Ave.
Chicago, IL 60637
fax: 773 834 2557, Google Voice: 773 359 3721
http://ttic.uchicago.edu/~jinbo/