[Colloquium] Assaf/MS Presentation/Apr 23, 2015

Margaret Jaffey margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 9 16:33:55 CDT 2015

This is an announcement of Rida Assaf's MS Presentation.

Date:  Thursday, April 23, 2015

Time:  12:00 PM

Place:  Ryerson 276

M.S. Candidate:  Rida Assaf

M.S. Paper Title: EXPLORING HIGHER-ORDER RELATIONSHIPS IN MICROBIAL
PROTEIN NETWORKS

Abstract:
With the advancement in genome sequencing technology and the
ever-growing set of fully sequenced genomes made available to
researchers, genomic context analysis has attracted much interest.
Investigating protein networks is a major focus of genome research,
and the methods used to predict these interactions have been put on a
quantitative basis. That is because they have been shown to be equally
effective to experimental methods. Among the various methods that have
been proposed to predict functional interactions between proteins
based on the genomic context of their genes, we focus our attention to
phylogenetic profiling methods which link proteins based on the high
correlation between their phyletic distributions across a set of
genomes. One of the goals of this research is to discover novel
pathways in meta-genomic datasets. We show examples of current tools
on the web that provide similar functionalities but are limited by
some factors. We present our methods that alleviate some of these
limitations and demonstrate their effectiveness by predicting a
well-known pathway.

Rida's advisor is Prof. Rick Stevens

Login to the Computer Science Department website for details:
 https://www.cs.uchicago.edu/phd/ms_announcements#rida

Margaret P. Jaffey            margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (Ry 156)               (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago      http://www.cs.uchicago.edu