[Colloquium] Seminar Announcement: Citizen Science and the Power of the Crowd

Ninfa Mayorga ninfa at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 30 15:46:42 CDT 2014

~Reminder~

Computation Institute Presentation - Data Lunch Seminar (DLS)

Speaker: Stuart Lynn, Adler Planetarium
Host:  Tanu Malik and Kyle Chard
Date:  October 31, 2014
Time: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Location: University of Chicago, Searle 240A, 5735 S. Ellis Ave.

Citizen Science and the Power of the Crowd

Abstract: Citizen science: the participation of members of the public in scientific research is not a new phenomenon, in fact in the past the distinction between citizen and professional scientist has been very blurred. With the creation of the internet however this approach to doing science has exploded like never before with citizens helping scientists analyzing the data deluge of images of galaxies, cancer cell biopsies, animals in the serengeti and neuron connections between the eye and the brain to name just a few. The Zooniverse is one of the largest collections of these projects online with over 1 million citizen scientists worldwide participating in real scientific research. I will talk about the history of our project, how we ensure both data quality and a genuine experience of research for our participants, and finally what the future holds for this new way of doing science.

Bio: Stuart initially studied mathematical physics at Edinburgh University before deciding astronomy was prettier and easier to explain in bars and obtained a Ph.D. in astrophysics. He currently works at the Adler Planetarium as the technical lead of the Zooniverse: the largest collection of online citizen science projects. He is passionate about getting everyone involved in doing real science and making real discoveries online.

Information:  Lunch will be provided