[Colloquium] REMINDER: TTIC Colloquium: Stan Sclaroff, Boston University

Dawn Ellis dellis at ttic.edu
Fri Oct 17 10:50:22 CDT 2014

                                                     TTIC Colloquium

When:     Monday, October 20th at 11am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Stan Sclaroff
                Image and Video Computing Group
                Department of Computer Science
                Boston University
                http://www.bu.edu/cs/ivc/

Title:       Video-Based Analysis of Human Actions, Interactions and Social
Behaviors

Abstract:

I will report on research related to computer-vision based tracking and
analysis of human actions, interactions and communicative behaviors. I will
first describe unsupervised methods that learn human action models and
exploit contextual features to improve action recognition. These approaches
are unsupervised in the sense that they require no human intervention other
than the action keywords to be used to form text queries to Web image and
video search engines. I will then briefly describe our Hierarchical
Space-Time Segments representation, which is helpful in both recognition
and localization of actions in video. An unsupervised method is proposed
that can extract both static and non-static relevant space-time segments of
moving people in video, while preserving hierarchical and temporal
relationships among parts of the people. Finally, I will summarize our work
on video-based tracking and analysis of humans’ communicative behaviors,
including a new algorithm for discovering correlated events across
unaligned streams that accounts for (and models) the varying time shifts
between participants’ initiating and response behaviors during dyadic
interactions.

This work was conducted in collaboration with Shugao Ma and Jianming Zhang
(Boston U), Nazli Ikizler Cinbis (Hacettepe University), Liliana Lo Presti
and Marco La Cascia (U Palermo), and Agata Rozga (Georgia Tech).

Bio: Stan Sclaroff received the PhD degree from the MIT Media Lab in 1995.
  He is a professor in the Department of Computer Science at Boston
University.   He chaired the department from 2006-2013.  Professor
Sclaroff’s research interests include tracking, video-based analysis of
human motion and gesture, object detection and classification, deformable
shape matching and recognition, as well as image/video database indexing,
retrieval and data mining methods.

Host:  Greg Shakhnarovich, Greg at ttic.edu

--
*Dawn Ellis*