[Colloquium] Theory Seminars at Computer Science

Donna Brooms donna at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 25 04:41:44 CST 2014

*REMINDER*

THEORY SEMINAR

Tuesday, November 25. 2014
Ryerson 251 at 3:00 p.m.

Pooya Hatami
University of Chicago, Computer Science
http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~pooya

Title: “A characterization of functions with vanishing averages over products of disjoint sets"

Abstract:
Given \alpha_1,...,\alpha_m  in (0,1) we characterize all integrable complex functions f on [0,1]^m satisfying \int_{A_1 \times ... \times A_m} f =0 for any collection of disjoint sets A_1,...,A_m \subseteq [0,1] of respective measures \alpha_1,...,\alpha_m.

We use this characterization to answer a few conjectures from [S. Janson and V. S\'os, More on quasi-random graphs, subgraph counts and graph limits, arXiv:1405.6808] in the study of certain quasi-random properties of graphs.

The talk is based on joint work with Hamed Hatami and Yaqiao Li.

Host: Prof. Alexander Razborov

*Refreshments will be served in Ryerson 255 at 2:30pm*