[Colloquium] REMINDER: Talks at TTIC: Saket Navlakha, Carnegie Mellon University

Dawn Ellis dellis at ttic.edu
Fri Mar 28 10:42:25 CDT 2014

When:     Monday, March 31st at 11am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room #526

Speaker:  Saket Navlakha, Carnegie Mellon University

Title:       Analyzing and learning from biological networks

Abstract: Over the last decade, new technological advances have
enabled us to deeply probe the inner workings of biological processes,
and making sense of this data has raised several computational
challenges. This data has also revealed how interacting molecules and
cells make decisions, coordinate responses, and adapt to changing
conditions under similar constraints as those faced by large
distributed systems.

In this talk, I will first describe methods for predicting
condition-specific protein interactions missing in signaling pathways
and for reconstructing ancestral biological networks given only a
present-day version. In the second part, I will describe a joint
computational-experimental approach to explore how neural networks in
the brain form during development. I will discuss how the brain uses a
very uncommon and surprising strategy to build networks and how this
idea can be used to enhance the design and function of wireless
communication networks.

Host: Jinbo Xu, j3xu at ttic.edu

--
*Dawn Ellis*