[Colloquium] REMINDER: Research at TTIC: Kevin Gimpel

Dawn Ellis dellis at ttic.edu
Thu Mar 27 12:48:30 CDT 2014

When:     Friday, March 28th at Noon

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room #526

Who:       Kevin Gimpel, TTIC

Title:       Natural Language Processing for Twitter

Abstract:

The popularity of Twitter and other social media platforms has yielded vast
amounts of "conversational" text in electronic form.  Researchers have
tried to use this data to predict flu outbreaks, elections, movie revenues,
public approval ratings, consumer confidence indicators, and more.  All of
these applications require some level of natural language processing on the
raw text from Twitter.

In this talk I'll describe our work on entry-level NLP for Twitter,
including the design of a part-of-speech tag set, its annotation, and an
automatic tagger.  The tagger produces state-of-the-art results on several
datasets of conversational text by using word representations trained on a
large set of unlabeled tweets.  I'll also briefly discuss our work on using
tweets to predict which team to bet on in NFL games.

This is joint work with collaborators at Carnegie Mellon.

***************************************
Research at TTIC Seminar Series

TTIC is hosting a weekly seminar series presenting the research currently
underway at the Institute. Every week a different TTIC faculty member will
present their research.  The lectures are intended both for students
seeking research topics and adviser, and for the general TTIC and
University of Chicago communities interested in hearing what their
colleagues are up to.

To receive announcements about the seminar series, please subscribe to the
mailing list: https://groups.google.com/a/ttic.edu/group/talks/subscribe

Speaker details can be found at: http://www.ttic.edu/tticseminar.php.

For additional questions, please contact David McAllester at
mcallester at ttic.edu

--
*Dawn Ellis*
Administrative Coordinator,