[Colloquium] Talks at TTIC: Hal Daume lll, University of Maryland

Dawn Ellis dellis at ttic.edu
Thu Jan 9 12:32:26 CST 2014

When:     Friday, January 17th at 10am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room #526

Who:       Hal Daume lll,  University of Maryland

Title:        Predicting Linguistic Structures Accurately and Efficiently

Abstract: Many classic problems in natural language processing can be cast
as building mapping from a complex input (e.g., a sequence of words) to a
complex output (e.g., a syntax tree or semantic graph).  This task is
challenging both because language is ambiguous (learning difficulties) and
represented with discrete combinatorial structures (computational
difficulties). Often these are at odds: the features you want to add to
decrease learning difficulties cause nontrivial additional structure
yielding worse computational difficulties.

I will begin by discussing algorithms that side-step the issue of
combinatorial blowup and aim to predict an output structure directly. I
will then present approaches that explicitly learn to trade-off accuracy
and efficiency, applied to a variety of linguistic phenomena. Moreover, I
will show that in some cases, we can actually obtain a model that is faster
and more accurate by exploiting smarter learning algorithms.

For additional questions, please contact host, David McAllester at
mcallester at ttic.edu

--
*Dawn Ellis*
Administrative Coordinator,