[Colloquium] Seminar Announcement: A Random Walk Through The Mathematics of High-Performance Computing

Ninfa Mayorga ninfa at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 21 15:23:17 CDT 2014

Computation Institute Presentation

Speaker: Carlo Graziani, University of Chicago Flash Center for Computational Science
Host:  Robert Rosner
Date:  April 24, 2014
Time: 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
Location:  University of Chicago, Searle 240A, 5735 S. Ellis Ave.  This talk will be broadcast via Adobe Connect (see below)

A Random Walk Through The Mathematics of High-Performance Computing

Abstract:
Computational science projects performed at the University of Chicago Flash Center frequently give rise to interesting problems of applied mathematics and mathematical physics. I will describe how three of these came to our attention, and were subsequently solved: (1) The taming of an inaccurate (but widely-used) algorithm for multipole self-gravity in hydrodynamics; (2) The proper description of turbulent convective spectra in core-collapse supernova progenitors; (3) Catastrophic trouble attends implementations of the Biermann Battery effect near shocks in numerical MHD -- I will describe how we found the trouble, and shot it.

Information:  Lunch will be provided

This talk will be broadcast to Argonne National Laboratory, TCS Building 240, Room 5172.  You may join the broadcast from your location by joining Adobe Connect.

To join the meeting:
http://anl.adobeconnect.com/tcs-ci
-Enter as a guest

If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before:

Test your connection:
http://anl.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm

Get a quick overview: http://www.adobe.com/go/connectpro_overview