[Colloquium] Talks at TTIC: Li Haiquan, University of Arizona, Tucson

Dawn Ellis dellis at ttic.edu
Tue Apr 1 11:36:33 CDT 2014

When:     Tuesday, April 8th at 11am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room #526

Speaker:  Li Haiquan, University of Arizona, Tucson

Title:       Semantic similarity approaches for integrative data mining on
omics data:
              towards network mechanisms of complex diseases

Abstract:

Despite various omics technologies and a couple of successful data-driven
projects, the biological causing mechanisms of complex diseases (polygenic
diseases such as Cancers and diabetes) and their comorbidities are still
elusive. We hypothesize that the crucial information is embedded among
different scales of omics data, thus the integrative mining of these data
could provide essential clues for the causing mechanisms of the diseases.
We propose an information-theoretical and semantic similarity framework to
cross-link multiple scales of information relevant to complex diseases, and
efficiently incorporate prior biological knowledge. A multiple level
bipartite model is employed and the quantification of information flow on
the network is discussed. Empirical permutation is suggested to control the
biases during information propagation.

Host:  Jinbo Xu, j3xu at ttic.edu

--
*Dawn Ellis*