[Colloquium] Theory Seminars at Computer Science

Donna Brooms donna at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 23 07:38:37 CDT 2013

*REMINDER*

Wednesday, Oct. 23th @ 6 p.m.
Ryerson 255

James Crooks
University of Chicago, Computer Science
Program in Biophysical Sciences

Title:  “Modeling T cell receptor dynamics”

Abstract:
T cell receptors are a family of proteins of central importance in the adaptive immune system, responsible for identifying novel antigens and triggering an immune response.  T cell receptors are capable of simultaneous cross-reactivity, responding to multiple targets, and extreme specificity in the presence of numerous similar-appearing but incorrect targets.  Here, we present early results in which we use machine learning-based dimensionality reduction techniques and Markov State Models to understand the conformational states and kinetics of the T cell receptor generated by molecular dynamics simulations, shedding light on how the T cell receptor is able to simultaneously act in a specific and promiscuous manner.

Host: Ridgway Scott

Refreshments will be served prior to the talk in Ry. 255 @ 5:45